Over a six-month period, 18 Basel households follow the GoSimple interactive challenge and take on the challenge of living more frugally, simply and sustainably. By participating in workshops in the areas of minimalism, zero waste, mobility, local consumption and nutrition, the households learn how they can make their lives more sufficiency-oriented. In the process, they have the opportunity to exchange ideas with participants as well as experts. The goal of GoSimple is to strengthen one’s own satisfaction with a simpler life and to sustainably protect the world of tomorrow. Visit the GoSimple website here.
What is Go Simple?
For six months, Basel households will follow a guided group programme and take up the challenge to live more frugally and sustainably. Through workshops in the areas of zero waste, mobility, housing and energy, local economy and nutrition, they simplify their lifestyles. The participants support each other in the process.
This pilot phase is followed by an implementation phase with a larger group of participants.
Go simple and the journey of the participants will be documented and disseminated through the media for scalability and replicability.
Finally, a blueprint of the programme will be made publicly available to facilitate other cities to use and implement the programme or parts of it.
People experience benefits of a happy frugal lifestyle:
They discover the benefits (stress reduction, increase in time and financial resources, strengthening of community networks).
They change their habits, and adopt a more simple, climate-friendly lifestyle
Participants become role models in their social context and inspire the households around them
The city of Basel makes a significant contribution to the future of sustainable social lifestyles
- Basel is a role model for other cities, as the project originated and is made possible here.
- The networking of neighbourhoods and districts improves: new connections are created through regular exchanges between households during the project. Neighbourhood centres are included in the project as workshop locations in order to form more intensive networking.
- Basel can adapt infrastructures according to the needs of the population based on the learnings of the project
Inspiration and concrete nudges for the rest of Switzerland
- At the end a blueprint is created for a household-programmes that can be implemented other towns.
- The project is accompanied by media partnerships, bloggers and vloggers to inspire people across the country.